Tuesday 1 May 2012

Please.

Almost exactly 14 weeks ago I found out that my fiance had skin cancer.

Today I found out that the cancer is gone. He will have regular checks for the next 5 years but, for now at least, the C word is no more.

It has been a tough 14 weeks.

There were 2 operations, 1 big, 1 small.

There were tears. There was stress and drama and shouting and hugging and anger and guilt and love and hate. There was bitterness and resentment and hysteria and compassion and sympathy and pain.

It has been a tough 14 weeks.

But today we came out the end of it and he is cancer free. He is alive and he is healthy and he can continue to be the wonderful Father to our children that he always has been.

And so, I beg you, again. Check your moles. Go to the doctors. Get a referral. Waste peoples time. Because if you go through what we went through and come out where we came out today then it will all be worth it. But if you ignore the signs or choose not to look for them you might not be so lucky.

14 weeks ago I thought I was going to be raising our two children alone. Today I am drinking champagne and feeling lucky and in love.

So please. Check your skin, your breasts, your balls. Go to the doctors. Don't wait until it is too late.

I know I'd miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment