Wednesday 26 September 2012

The day he said no

My William amazes me on a daily basis. As you all know he has been in and out of doctors offices and hospitals since he was a few weeks old. He has been prodded and poked and pestered. And he has always complied. He sits on my knee peacefully. He raises his shirt before the doctor has got the stethoscope into their ears. He takes out his hearing aids as soon as he sees the otoscope. He turns his head once one ear is done. And remember the blood test? Oh my heart.

Each and every appointment we have, I come away feeling proud to have such a good, patient patient.

But today was different.

Today he didn't want the wires in his ears. Today he didn't want to play the game. He didn't want to sit on his own and he didn't want to sit on my knee. He didn't want to listen.

And he made this all very clear.

So today I left the hospital exhausted. More exhausted that normal but also much more proud than normal too. I didn't even know it was possible but it's true.

Good on him for saying no. I am so proud that on today, when he was more tired than usual and was fed up of being tested, he let us all know. It's such a draining process for all of us and each and every time I want to scream and shout "NO". I want to stamp my feet and cry and get up off the chair and leave. I don't because I am a grown up and normally his behaviour would make you think he is a grown up too.

But today he acted like a child.

And I love him all the more for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment